Monday, January 21, 2013

Churchill Reflections Part 1

An adobe fireplace flickered in the corner as I snuggled up on my grandparents’ couch over the holidays. My toes were comfortably nuzzled into my slippers from the Arctic Trading Post in Churchill, Manitoba. These slippers are one of my most cherished possessions. I take them with me wherever I go.
We flipped through a few photos from the fall. It has been just over a month since I returned from Churchill, where I volunteered for six weeks with Polar Bears International.
We paused. My grandmother asked, “So, of all the places you’ve been recently, which was your favorite?”
My face contorted into puzzled wrinkles. “I can’t pick a favorite… they’re all so different.”
Another pause. “Well… actually, Churchill. Definitely Churchill.”

No comments: