Sunday, July 8, 2012

Arriving in Longyearbyen


I am sitting in a bar in Longyearbyen, Svalbard right now, surrounded by people speaking Norwegian & German. It has been a long journey getting here, but I enjoy that in the same way I enjoy a challenging climb or a difficult slog approach in the mountains; ‘Fun’ but different as ET would say.

The landscape here is wildly beautiful, stark, stunning. Sitting 1.338 kilometers from the North Pole, we wait for lunch to begin while organizing and re-organizing our gear.


I landed in Longyearbyen, Svalbard Friday at 11:30pm to full light. Not dawn, not dusk, it could have been noon.

My first thought was “I should have brought my skis.” My second thought was “I am about to take more photographs than I have ever taken before.”


The unfamiliar presence of light and build up of anticipation kept me awake most of the night. Extraordinary filmmaker, Henry Harrison, also of Bozeman, arrived last night. Together we will be joining Polar Kreuzfahrten, who has graciously donated two spots on two of their arctic cruises for PBI. As a team we will be gathering media of this arctic wonderland. I am honored to have the opportunity to work with a group of such passionate people, to absorb and learn as much as I possibly can, and to contribute positive energy and beautiful imagery



 We will be boarding the ship in a few hours. What an inspiring environment to be immersed in.


No comments: